It’s been a little more than a year since I started this writing blog. Have I learned anything? Yup.
- Writing a 50k, episodic story is not the same as writing a novel. There are additional things, writerly things, to consider such as character arc and cause-and-effect scene structure and style stuff and grammar thingamabobs. Last year’s 50k Nano project is sitting in a drawer. Even if it never sees the light of day, the time I spent on it wasn’t wasted because I learned a lot and gained confidence from the writing process.
- Starting out, I did not know what I didn’t know. Now I know I still have much to learn! Hope springs eternal, so I soldier on . . .
- Other people’s eyes are super helpful. I’m grateful to people who have read my writing and given me feedback.
- I don’t need to study the craft or to learn by writing. I need to do both.
- It’s useful to read recently published, successful debut novels.
And those are my big five from this past year.:-)
I’m typing this in the middle of November. If you’re Nano-ing, you’re at the halfway point. Hang in there!