Yes, my 3rd quarter goals. But first, how did I do on the goals I set for the first half of 2021? I had a goal of writing three novellas. (One of them was already in a Nano draft phase.)
1st half of 2021: Write and edit 3 novellas.
FIRST NOVELLA: Done, in an editor’s slush pile at the moment.
SECOND NOVELLA: Done. However, I was experimenting with a novella in verse. It didn’t turn out to my liking, and with each editing pass, the more contrived it felt. So I deleted it, but I’m glad I gave it a shot.
THIRD NOVELLA: Ironically, this is the novella that was already in draft form, and I think it still needs another big edit. So this one was a big, honking FAIL. I do like the wasp-filled premise, though, so I’m not giving up on this one.
During the first half of 2021, I also:
- got a story accepted in my fave dark literary zine (to be published in spring of 2022).
- received three story rejections.:-)
- received notice of a forthcoming acceptance for a vampire novelette.
- got a poem published in a happily successful charity anthology for Virginia musicians hit hard by the pandemic. (The anthology is today’s feature image.)
- wrote and submitted a short story about not-your-normal butterflies (heh, heh, hehhhh).
- wrote and submitted a short story about a child’s ghost.
- edited and submitted a wicked witch story for a podcast.
- wrote a weird-horror short story that needs 400 words chopped in order to meet a target publisher’s submission guidelines.
For the 3rd quarter 2021, my goals are to:
- cut 400 words from my weird-horror short story and get it submitted.
- edit and submit that third novella, the wasp-filled one.
- edit (again) and query my manor house novel that’s been sitting idle too long.
- aim for some new words, too, so I’ll search for a paying horror market and then challenge myself to write a short story for that market.
I hope the pursuit of your writing (or reading, or both) goals are going well!